Fra Angelico's Mocking of Christ

James and I traveled to Florence a handful of times, mostly to revisit the frescos by Fra Angelico in the Convent of St. Marco.  I thought it timely to share this image as we approach the holidays that occur in Spring.  Although this is a specific representation of Christ, this painting has intrigued both James and me beyond its allegorical symbolism.  I have often thought of this image as James has moved through his illness, especially the gestures of the hands, Christ's blindfold, and the mocking breath.  It is a piece for meditation and contemplation and you need not be Christian to dwell in its enigmatic beauty. I am sharing this with you in the hope that you find meaning in it as well.

Comments

  1. I love all of the disembodied hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning fresco. I visited San Marco many years ago but have never forgotten its beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts