Human all to human

Well.  We are moving forward despite my landlord's inability to recognize his obligations.

James will come home for a brief visit on Saturday as a form of trouble-shooting.  The doctor discussed the idea behind the visit with me today--that it will provide us with an opportunity to see how James navigates through the space and if there are any things that we will need that would only become obvious to us once James is in the apartment. I am slightly anxious about it but feel one hundred percent better knowing that our good friend Stephen Ulrich will be driving us to and from the hospital.

James is being discharged on Wednesday morning. Like a hotel, we have to be out of our room before 12:00!  I have so much to accomplish in the time between now and then--at work and with James--it will be a crazy couple of days to try to get everything done.

I saw James's meal tonight--that's right, he's eating. He did not have any supplemental nutrition today. Everything he ate went through his mouth!  Pretty exciting stuff although, he made a face when I took the top off his dinner tray this evening. I promised him curried food, although, I do not know if that will be allowed or not--just the word curry made James smile.  He showed me his thickened milk product (he's not allowed to drink liquids yet) and made a face filled with disgust. It makes me happy to see that face! A look of disgust means so much!

James's doctor took him off one his medications today. I am grateful that his doctor understands how we feel about meds.  He wanted to assess if James is effected by it. I am hoping it does not make a change in him and that will be one less thing to cloud his system.

James and I had a difficult conversation today. We were talking about the logistics for his drive home. He told me he could do the drive.  That is so crazy, I thought he was joking. He was entirely serious. James had forgotten that he does not have his full cognitive capacity back yet.

He was scolded today because he went to the restroom by himself.  I think he will be a handful for me as he becomes stronger yet, he's still unstable on his feet.

He does not want friends as caregivers in my absence. He has his pride and I understand his feelings completely. James does not want his friends and students looking after him. It's humiliating to him. I tried to explain that his friends want to see him and spend time with him.

I have to honor his wishes, to a degree. He has agreed to a handful of male friends and that will be the people that I will turn to for help, in the short term.  Thank you to all that have responded.

James will need time to adjust psychologically to his new state.  I will keep after him about visitors.

Due to his short term memory deficits, James does not realize that it will take months to recover and that he is disabled.  It is painful that I have to remind him about his disability but he has to know so that he will not injure himself but also, so that we can set goals for him to achieve over the next few months.  When we are in the moment and I explain this to him, he understands and he is sad but determined.

Must get to bed. Tomorrow will be a marathon day to accomplish as much as I can at work.

I thought James's mound of mashed potatoes and gravy looked good!  It reminded me of the food the kids ate at my elementary school cafeteria. My mother always made my lunch. I described what the other children were eating which was very similar to James's hospital meal this evening. My mother recreated the dish and it was completely delicious!  I hope to do the same for James once he's home with me. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts