Unmovable Obstacle

Sigh. My landlord refuses to allow the installation of a rail on the staircase.

I do not know what to do now.

He does not want a disabled person living on the third floor of his building, even if the disability is temporary.

He is discriminating against us because he does not want to take on the responsibility of being a proper landlord.

This is our home.

I will discuss the situation with the therapists and hopefully, with my assistance, James will be able to negotiate the stairs without a second rail.

I will ask the attorneys at my firm for legal guidance.

I have a feeling that my landlord believes he is right and that I am the person that is being difficult. He wants this to go away.

I explained to him that I cannot have concerns regarding his legal issues as a landlord. I am not able to provide him with legal advice. He has to understand that his decision to say no is a choice.  He has made it.

I have to make choices for my family too.

I cannot share this with James. I do not want him to have any anxiety about this transition.

He is doing so well too!  He has adjusted to the new nutrition and I had a great session with his occupational therapist today. I recorded the session and now feel that I have the basis, as James's home therapist, for a morning therapeutic routine.

I have to focus on other things now. James's discharge is rapidly approaching and I must move ahead to get beyond this obstacle.

Our time on this planet is so short and it is disappointing to me that people cannot be more oriented toward affirming life.

The landlord has just accumulated a shitload of bad karma.

I cannot move. It's impossible. James needs to be in his home and I am not physically or psychologically capable of moving our life now.

I want to cry. A big, long wailing cry. I have to help Imogen with her math homework and prepare for work at the office tomorrow morning.

Please yell up at the stars tonight that they look after James, Imogen and me--we need a bit of cosmic rays to light this dark patch.








Comments

  1. Bad karma is right, and there is a special place in hell (if there is such a thing) for landlords like this. What a cad! I feel in my heart that there is a way out of this and that James will make it safely into his home with you and Imogen and B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sorry, excuse my ignorance but aren’t there laws that say a dwelling is rented out to a tenant must be accessible by wheelchair ? Or if a disabled is living in that dwelling accommodations must be made ? Is New York different as far as renters rights go ? That’s just ridiculous . There must be some law protecting renters from that kind of discrimination ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts