First studio project

Today was James's first day waking up at home.  I made him French toast for breakfast.

The visiting nurse and physical therapist came by and assessed James to establish a schedule for the next four weeks.  He will also have an occupational therapist and hopefully, speech therapist too.

The shower chair that was order by the rehab team at the hospital for home delivery did not fit.  I went out today hitting the local drug stores to find a smaller bench but it appears that most medical equipment has a standard size that is too large for our tub. 

I went online to find a smaller stool but it could not be delivered until later next week!  I wondered what we could do and James thought, why not make our own bench?  I found a piece of wood from James's pile in the studio (I always make fun of his collection--that it is a useless hoard--but he proved me wrong) and it fits perfectly across the tub--it is snug against the wall as if the piece was specifically cut for it. No tipping or sliding at all.

James thought it needed a lock on it so we found another piece of wood to secure underneath it to keep it in place. I was worried how I would attach the wood lock when James walked into his studio, located his drill, dumped a basket out on his desk that contained a pile of screws, and then, went over to another tin and found the proper drill bit and went to work. It was insane. I stood there watching him drill into a piece of wood!

One day home and he's made a shower bench!  We took a shower tonight and it works great!

Must get to bed.  A thousand things to do tomorrow.

My favorite neurological intensive care unit doctor from Bellevue called tonight! He heard through the grapevine that James was discharged from rehab and wanted to give me a call. I was elated to hear from him. I have been thinking about him so much over the past two months, wanting to sit down and write him a long letter. He is a humane, loving person.  It was so good to hear his voice. Despite the harrowing experience of James being in the NICU, we were privileged to have met the doctors and nurses there that cared so much for James and me.

I want James to meet him!  That's the funny part, James has no memory of Yousef--this person that became terribly important to me and was a integral part of James's recovery.

Time for my turn in the shower!

Comments

  1. That's fantastic. I love this story. So glad to hear things are coming together, and that James still has his preparator's skills working for him. Next thing you know, he'll be subtracting fractions without a pencil while juggling a masterpiece on his foot. He was always better at that than I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he can handle his drill, then you are all set. Go James! How wonderful that you are all home together again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim grabs a drill and makes a shower bench . Really ? That’s more than my husband can do . Amazing .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts