Too Many Wheels

James had his first visitor today, our friend Alan, who shared the morning with James while I took Imogen to her soccer game.  We managed to sweep past the farmer's market on the way home and brought back fresh eggs, warm from-the-oven SheWolf bread, and gorgeous strawberries.

James had a little anxiety before Alan arrived and asked me, "What are we going to do?"  I explained that he did not have to entertain him.  Still, I could see that James was worried about filling the time. I suggested they sketch together.

We arrived home and they were busy in James's studio.

I made Alan some breakfast and James looked at the plate of food and thought he was hungry too.  I had made him an omelette and waffle right before Alan came over but he may have forgotten! I cracked open a farmer's market egg and it had two yolks. I thought that it was a good sign.  It seems we are constantly eating!  Before you know it, it's lunch time.  James wants comfort food so luckily, I bought frozen macaroni and cheese during our last stop for milk before coming home.

I have not been on the rigorous therapy schedule as I had hoped.  I think it will be closer to the hospital schedule Monday through Friday.  His first day home was therapy in itself and then, we had the visiting nurse and physical therapist the next day.  Friday, James attended an art parade held outside in the courtyard at Imogen's school. It was his first time out in public and he was so exhausted by it.  He came home afterward and fell asleep on the couch. I did not have the heart to wake him to begin a session of occupational therapy. Watching the children in the art parade was therapy enough for one day!  It was so sweet to see Imogen's classmates wave at him.

They are brave kids.  I saw some children sneak curious peeks at James in his wheelchair. I was grateful that Imogen's friends waved to James as if nothing was amiss.

Imogen and I took James to McCarren Park after lunch.  I thought it might be wise to bring his transport wheelchair--which is too small for him and has a tendency to tip forward a bit--in case he became tired and did not want to walk home. He had his rollator which is basically a walker with a seat--I've been calling it the rolley.  The nurse laughed at that because I said it as if it were normal when reviewing the walking aids James is using.  She said, "you mean, his rollator."

Imogen insisted on wearing her new roller skates to the park and we had a gigantic hulahoop size frisbee too.  It was a bit of a weird disability parade.  Imogen was skating ahead of us, then James with his rollator, and me coming up behind with the transport wheel chair.  At one point, Imogen decided to jump in the chair so I was pushing her along with her skates still on and James walking ahead of us with the rollator.

I will not make that mistake again--far too much going on with Imogen laughing and hanging onto me while I am trying to look for problems in the sidewalk as James ambled on.  It was exhausting.

It was nice once James and I were seated in the shade under the trees. We watched Imogen skate around the park a couple of times.  James is so determined. He walked all the way home and up the stairs without pausing.  He plopped on the couch and took a nap.

When he woke up, I worked on his hands--stretching exercises given to me by his occupational therapist that are excruciating for James.  I set a clock on the table with a minute hand so that we would be able to count out the 30 seconds for each stretch.

I wanted to do a little more with him today but just being home is so much mental and emotional processing. I want to give him some space but part of me feels the pull of the two month countdown clock ticking--another wheel that moves forward.

Next week is loaded with activities at Imogen's school, therapy for James, and coordinating follow-up doctor's visits.  I am hoping that things will be a little less hectic in July--that we will be able to focus and find a groove.

I am having difficulty balancing time between Imogen and James. It is a challenge!

Time for bed!  Imogen feels it is too early to sleep and wants to start a project at 10:00 at night. I think we had established many bad habits during the crisis and it will take time to make things right again.







Comments

  1. I know that this must be SO overwhelming, but you just told me that you and James sat under a tree watching Imogen skate around and that is SO AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL!!! My advice would be to give yourselves these first few days to find some semblance of footing before you berate yourself for not being rigorous enough with therapy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts